Poolscaping Can Add Beauty and Privacy to Your Garden
Are you considering installing a pool in your backyard, but still want a garden that will look good and offer privacy while being practical to maintain? That’s where pool landscaping — or poolscaping — comes in!
Pool landscaping is slightly different to regular garden landscaping as the materials used need to be:
- Water resistant
- Heat resistant
- Able to withstand salt and chemicals
Poolscaping isn’t just about the hard materials though, it can also incorporate planting, lighting, water features, fencing and other structures.
The good news is, there are many options for styling the deck and gardens around your in-ground pool so you can find the design that best fits your family’s needs while still ticking the practicality boxes.
What to Consider When Designing Your Poolscape
Although a good pool landscaper, like Ottawa Home and Garden, will be able to offer plenty of expert advice on what makes a good poolscape, you will also want to make sure your own style and taste is taken into account. Before meeting with your designer consider:
- What is your vision for your backyard pool landscape? Natural, modern or even tropical; an idea of the overall feel you wish to achieve will help when it comes to making decisions about the materials, plants and lighting you choose.
- What space do you need in your garden? For example, will you want a dining area, space for lounging chairs, hot tub, BBQ or play space?
- How much planting would you prefer? Do you want a garden that looks after itself or do you enjoy using your green thumbs?
- Do you need / want to create shade?
- What is your budget?
To get inspiration, check out what your neighbours have done or see these 40 pool landscaping ideas from HGTV for some beautiful examples of what can be achieved.
What Are the Best Pool Landscaping Materials for Ottawa?
The first thing to consider when installing an in-ground pool is your preferred material for your pool surround or pool deck area.
It is important to choose something that will stand up to weather extremes, is practical to maintain and complements the rest of your garden landscape.
Commonly used materials for pool landscaping include:
- Natural Stone Interlock: Individual paving stones which are placed together in a desired pattern. These may be made from a variety of natural stones such as flagstone, travertine or limestone. Interlock is able to expand and contract with extreme weather conditions making this an ideal choice for Poolscaping in Ottawa.
- Concrete: Concrete is a hardy, non-slip, material that is cheaper than natural stone and very low maintenance. Concrete slabs can be made to size and used as interlock directly around the side of a pool. Stamped, poured concrete is also an option used in many locations for pool surrounds, but not recommended for the weather conditions of Ottawa.
- Rocks: Feature rocks in the pool and garden area can add an ornamental focal point and break up straight lines.
- Wood: An aesthetically pleasing material which can give a natural look to the pool surround. Wood is not recommended as a floor option in Ottawa due to the maintenance that would be required, but it can be used in fencing or other structures.
Types of Plants to Use for Pool Landscaping
Green spaces, flora and fauna are an important part of your pool landscape if you want it to still feel like a garden. Plants and trees can create shade, focal points, colour and privacy in your poolscape.
The plants and layout you choose can make the difference between a simple, clean look or a luscious backyard paradise.
Be sure to consider the types of plants that will thrive in your climate and region. According to Natural resources Canada, Ottawa is hardiness zone 5a. Your local nurseries or your landscaper should be able to advise the most appropriate plants and trees to do well in this climate zone, and will also take into account your soil, whether your garden is exposed to wind etc.
These Poolscaping Extras Will Make Your Backyard an Oasis
To add some finishing touches and your personal style to your pool landscape, consider the following extras:
Lighting: Add strategic lighting to your pool and poolscape to create a beautiful and relaxing atmosphere. Lights can be placed in the bottom of your pool, round its edge or in trees and shrubbery. Just avoid any raised lighting that could be a tripping hazard.
Water features: Add a waterfall, fountain or wall fountain to your pool landscape for a focal point that reflects your personality. The sound of moving water is also ideal for masking external noises like traffic.
Furniture: Don’t forget to add comfortable furniture for lounging by the pool.
Fencing: The City of Ottawa rules say pools must be fenced. In most cases, your yard fence will be sufficient. Your poolscape designer should be able to guide you and offer suggestions for fencing solutions that don’t distract from the ambience of your garden.
As you can see, with a little bit of pre-planning, you can create a beautiful and functional poolscape your family will enjoy for years to come.
Ottawa Home and Garden for all Your Ottawa Area Poolscape Needs
Ottawa Home and Garden is your local expert for all your in-ground pool installation and pool landscaping needs. Serving the Ottawa region since 1998, we are a premier pool installation and landscaping company, offering pool design and poolscaping as a complete service.
We will work with you to ensure your new pool and surrounding landscape is everything you dreamed it would be as well as advising on practical matters such as permits.
Our entire service, from first consultation to completion, is carried out by our in-house team, ensuring a seamless process.
Our expertise doesn’t stop at the pool design and installation, we can also design patios, steps, walkways, stone features, lighting and anything else that your pool landscape needs.
Contact us today for more information and to get one step closer to your dream pool.